3D Virtual Tour
Amazing 1920's Remodeled and Significantly Improved Multi Family Building with Garden Apartment, Two Car Parking, Beautiful Zen Garden and Plenty of Storage! Pride of Ownership Throughout. Completely Vacant and Ready for New Owners to Envoy throughout the years to come. Top Unit, Two Beds/One Bath; Middle Unit; Two Beds/One Bath; Garden Studio W/Full Bath.
Architecural Significance and House History.
The residential flats building at 734-736 43rd Avenue was built at a time when the Outer Richmond district was booming. In the 1920s, endless blocks of sparsely populated sand dunes were quickly transformed into a neighborhood of middle-class homes as San Francisco's growing population spread out from the city's core. With personal automobiles becoming more and more prevalent, an area of the city that once took a day to reach by horse and buggy, became an easy commute for those living in the quiet “Avenues” and working downtown.
The residential flats at 734-736 43rd Avenue were built in 1924 for Katherine E. Campell. They were designed and constructed by builder B.M. Paul. The building cost $5,000 to build. Katherine Campbell lived in unit number 736 with her brother, William Garmen. Katherine was a 63 year old widow, who had been born in Kansas to Irish parents. Her brother was 58, also widowed, and had been employed as a steam fitter, but was retired by the time he lived in the flat on 43rd Avenue. Katherine and William rented out the second flat in the building to Harry F. and Claire V. Hopper for $50 a month. Harry was 52, Claire was 37, and both were born in California. Harry worked as a credit manager for the John Deere Plow Company.
By 1933, Katherine Campbell had sold the building and she and William had moved to Los Angeles. The next residents of unit number 734 were Albert E. and Bertha Apps and their young daughter, Dorothy. Albert Apps, age 42, had immigrated from England in 1912, followed shortly by Bertha in 1914. Albert worked as a post office clerk. The residents of the second flat, if any, were not listed during the early 1930s.
A few years later, the Apps had moved away and were replaced by renters Rodney J. and Ruby K. Howard, who had two school-age daughters, Mary and Caroline. The Howards had moved from Portland, Oregon and Rodney worked as an accountant for an oil company. The family remained at the address through 1940, while the second unit (736) was occupied for a short time by Mel Lyons, about whom little is known, and a few years later by Isla T. Hamon, a divorced telephone operator.
In the early 1950s through 1980, the house was owned and occupied by the Masuda family; Teruhiko Terry (known as Terry T.) and Yukie Masuda in unit 734 and Yoshiko Masuda in unit 736. Terry and Yoshiko were brother and sister, born in California in 1919 and 1921, respectively, to a Japanese fruit cannery worker. Terry had studied at U.C. Berkeley before World War II and, post-war, was a chemist employed by the State, while his wife Yukie worked as an office secretary for the National Labor Relations Board. Yoshiko worked as a gardener for a time, and later as a supervisor for the American Red Cross. The Masuda family's records clearly record their internship at Topaz War Relocation Camp in Utah during World War II and Terry's departure from the camp in order to join the Army in 1944. In the mid-1960s, Yoshiko appears to have moved away and the second unit in the house was occupied by Terry and Toshiko's mother, Kimi Masuda. Kimi Masuda remained in 1970, but Terry and Yuki's unit was then occupied by renters Masaki and Mary Furuno. Masaki Furuno was a chemist who worked at Mount Zion Hospital. By 1981, Kimi Masuda had moved away and the following year the building stood vacant, ready for future owners and tenants.
The most recent owners of the property were Phillip Kay and Robin Peluso. Phillip Kay was born in San Francisco in 1953 and attended local schools before attending and graduating from U.C. Berkeley. He worked as a San Francisco firefighter while studying law and became a well-known civil rights employment attorney with a number of high-profile cases to his name. He was also an avid athlete, qualifying for the 1980 Olympic trials in the marathon. Phillip and Robin Peluso were married in Alameda in 1984. Robin was a ballet dancer, who danced with the San Francisco Opera Corps de Ballet in the late 1980s, but joined Phil's law practice as a paralegal and was invaluable in helping shape legal strategy for many cases.
The three-story, two-flat building takes a typical row house form, being tall and narrow with a flat roof. Its architecture shows Edwardian influence in its simple organization of a central angled bay window and corniced roofline. The front facade is clad with staggered wood shingles trimmed with corner boards. The ground story features a recessed garage entrance with a paneled wood door. The segmental arch opening leading to the garage on the right is echoed but not duplicated in the round arch leading to the primary entrance on the left. Brick steps approach this arch, which is enclosed by a metal gate. Inside, additional stairs ascend to a second story front door that is sheltered and shielded from view of the street. The second and third stories are dominated by a wide centered bay window that is ornamented at the bottom by decorative scroll-cut brackets. Each story of the bay window features a large window in the center facet that has an arched border muntin pattern, molded trim, and a shallow shed hood at the top. Side facets of the bay window have double-hung windows with molded trim. Similar double hung windows are found on the flat wall plane on either side of the bay window at each story level. At the top, the facade is crowned by an ornate cornice that includes Classical dentil and egg-and-dart moldings.
Families and singles alike seek out the Outer Richmond for its laid back, beach-town quality. Residents find a great outdoor adventure, taking in the relaxing sun, or bundling up for walks on a foggy day.
At the western edge you’ll find Ocean Beach, and to the south Golden Gate Park, both within easy reach. A relatively flat terrain in all directions, biking and hiking are a central means of transport. San Francisco’s Muni is also an option, conveniently delivering residents to the Civic Center and Financial District.
Ocean lovers are in their element in the Outer Richmond. Ocean view walks, forested trails and several beaches, make for magical afternoons. China Beach is a small but breathtaking destination, popular for sunbathing, and one of the only places in the city safe enough for swimming. Baker Beach, and its mile of waterfront, delivers magnificent views of the Marin Headlands and the Golden Gate Bridge. The most famous of the beaches is Ocean Beach, famous for its weekends of kite flying, wake boarding and good-old-fashioned picnics.
Lands End Trail is a favorite journey for hikers, as it meanders along the rocky cliffs over the sea - passing the historic Sutro Baths and the Legion of Honor. And of course there is the majestic Golden Gate Park, with numerous crisscrossing paths, easily accessible. If golfing is your game, there’s the private Lincoln Park Golf Club where you’ll risk missing your putt due to the tremendous ocean views from every hole.
After a memorable day by the sea, you’ll wander down the main drag, Geary Boulevard, which is lined with restaurants of every ethnicity, from Mexican, Russian, French and Italian to an array of establishments serving food from every corner of Asia.
You’ll never be short on cultural opportunities in this neighborhood. Art from around the world is regularly featured at The Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park. The movie art-house Balboa Theatre makes its mainstay second-and third-run Euro and independent flicks. And it takes but a short drive or Muni ride to find the new and old treasures made available at Golden Gate Park’s world-class museums.